Friday, September 16, 2011

Journey to Senior-citizenship

So I was shopping at my favorite variety store the other day and I saw an item that I thought I could really use. The problem was I had nothing else in my cart yet and my pride was yelling at me, "What if you run into someone you know? Do you want them to know you need that?" So I thought "I can go on through the store and come back by here on my way out and then I'll have something I can hide it under in the cart. But what if I forget to come back this way? (I've been known to forget things occasionally.) So began the battle of brain against pride!! My brain said, "Many people younger than you need this product. What's the big deal?" My pride said, "Are you kidding? It's a sure sign you're old when you need this! If someone sees you, you'll have to change your name and move away or forever be the butt of jokes." My brain said, "Get over yourself. You are aging but so is everyone else." My pride said, "Yes, but so far you've been aging fairly nicely. Do you want to give that up?" Finally I decided my brain was right. I am getting older and it's okay to need some assistance with certain things and maybe I should just relax and give in to the idea that, for me, this is necessary at this time and if anyone thinks it's funny, okay. I've brightened someone's day by giving them a laugh or two. So I threw the magnifying glass in the cart and went on with my shopping, proud to be a Senior Citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment