Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My 45th class reunion is this summer. I think I'll probably try to attend this one though I have not gone to any previously. The reason for this is really a stupid one. As a child, I was painfully shy and always thought I knew my PLACE in the world. I carried that attitude in to highschool and I was never a part of any social crowd. I had friends, but not lifetime friends and was definitely shunned by the popular crowd. My thinking remained in that same trap for most of my adult life. I have come to think of life now in nautical terms. The Bible refers often to life as a voyage, so I guess I can too. When we are children, our ships are untied from the dock and we are allowed to sail in shallow waters while we learn to navigate and get our sea legs. Once we're ready, we're allowed to sail off on our own. Depending on what we've learned, we have visions of smooth sailing and grand adventures. Some travel out on the sea, confident that they have the courage, strength, and knowledge to go far. Some of us, run in to stormy weather, sand bars, or icebergs and turn around and sail back to the dock where it's safe. I am definitely one of those who have wasted a lot of time tied to the dock. It's true most of my sand bars and icebergs were of my own making, but that didn't make them any less real to me. If I could still raise my leg high enough, I'd kick myself in the patoot! I have decided to untie my ship and set sail. I'm sure it won't always be smooth sailing, but I think I have finally got my sea legs and I know a great Navigator so wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment