Monday, October 5, 2009

Okay, so here's what happened. I had been shopping. It was hot. I was thirsty. I pulled in to a local fast food joint drive thru. I ordered a large diet Pepsi. The girl on the intercom told me how much I owed her and I drove forward. I gave her the exact change. She, however, gave me money back. I asked her if I had heard her wrong and she sweetly said, " Oh no. I gave you the senior citizen discount!" I quickly looked in the rear view mirror to see if I had perhaps turned gray while shopping or if I was wearing a shawl or my glasses were on the end of my nose. No, I looked the same to me. I really didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I nicely accepted the change and the drink, and drove home in a funk. Looking back on the whole situation I realize she was doing her job well and meant no harm to my ego but it took a while for me to put it in perspective and know that, yes, I am a senior citizen but I don't intend to let that stop me. Next time, I may even ask for the discount. On second thought ....

No comments:

Post a Comment